It’s not that I don’t like real baked pie, it’s that raw pie is so flavorful and crumbly delicious. The carmelization is replaced with moist crumbs and soft ripe fruit and a firm crust of utmost nutrition. Who can compare? I’m thankful for the enzyme action too; there are not too many enzymes required by my body to digest the food; it is courteously provided by the food!
Too help digestion of nuts and seeds and grains, soak them to break down the enzyme inhibitors then you can absorb nutrients with less risk of nutrient loss. Grains and nuts are best soaked even before cooking. Large ones would need 6-12 hours, medium ones; about 4-6, and small seeds do well with just a few hours of soaking. If sprouting though it is best to follow a tested time frame from a list you can find online. I believe i found mine on bulkfoods.com.
Buckwheat Almond Crust
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats, soaked overnight; dried in a dehydrator or warm oven
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 8 medjool dates, pitted; soak 10 minutes and chop
Spiced Cashew Cream
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 30 minutes to 2 hours
- 3 tablespoons almond or coconut milk (i used holiday rice nog)
- Pinch nutmeg or pie spice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 large pears or 3 medium pears
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pie spice (apple or pumpkin)
Chocolate Crumb Topping or Plain Streusel Topping (both shown in these pictures)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons vanilla pea protein powder or finely shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2-3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips or additional walnuts
1. Put all crust ingredients into the food processor. Process until crumbly and mixture can be pressed and formed with fingertips. Press mixture into a pie plate.
2. Put Cashew Cream ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth. Spread over crust. Refrigerate while preparing remaining steps.
3. Peel and slice the pears and remove the seeds. Slice into a bowl. Add remaining ingredients from this section. Layer pears over Cashew Cream.
4. For the streusel topping: Pulse ingredients in a food processor except for the chocolate chips; pulse them in last. Spread crumbs evenly over the pears. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.