Inspired by warm spices, these came together with the flavors of orange and cinnamon on my mind. To not be overwhelmed by chocolate, I chose carob, a sweet chocolaty alternative that blends well with spices like chocolate does but without the caffeine, There is a little bit of raw cocoa in these little treats but not much, so you can indulge in other holiday treats that might not be so healthfully rewarding.
For the base layer:
- 1/2 pound Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon organic orange zest
- 1 cup walnuts (plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1/3 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut plus more for sprinkling, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup raw carob powder (toasted is fine too)
- 2 tablespoons of raw cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar or a combination
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Line a 24 mini cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
Combine bottom layer ingredients in a food processor. Process until uniform in texture. Using a tablespoon measure, scoop mixture evenly into prepared 24 mini-cupcake/muffin tins/pan. Press down into tins.
Blend carob powder, cocoa powder, coconut oil, maple syrup, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spoon mixture by the heaping teaspoonful onto each mini pie. Sprinkle with coconut or chopped nuts if desired.
Refrigerate or freeze until set.