Crispy, yet soft, delicately sweet with more than an occasional chip. Isn’t that what the definition of a chocolate chip cookie should be?
Scroll to bottom for a peanut butter banana version.
A cookie that nourishes is like a breath of fresh air.
Make them flat or round. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a round one and sometimes I’m in the mood for a flat one!
Altering the ingredients can change bake time. Monitor baking during the last few minutes. *See below for gluten-free option.
- 2/3-¾ cup sucanat
- ¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil, softened if hard (if liquid, then put it in the fridge for a little while, until like soft butter)
- ¼ cup organic grass fed butter (used in this recipe photo), or additional coconut oil (or reduce fat by using 1/4 cup applesauce)
- 1-1/2 Tb flax milled with 3 tablespoons water (OR 1 egg, OR 2 egg whites OR 1/4 cup pureed silken tofu)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/3 cup millet flour or oat flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup spelt flour or more whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½-3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 ounces (1 cup) dark chocolate chips or carob chips
- Optional add ins: 1/4-1/2 cup dried cranberries (as in the photos), organic white chocolate chunks,1/2 cup coconut, or 1/4-1/3 cup chopped nuts
Also, See notes below
- Preheat oven to 350 ° Place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Using an electric mixer: Combine desired amount of sucanat, coconut oil, flax mix, vanilla, vanilla powder, if using, and molasses. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat into oil mixture along with the applesauce, if using. Stir in chocolate chips and any other add-ins you choose.
- Refrigerate dough for 20 minutes.
- Measure by rounded tablespoonful onto cookie sheet.(note: If you choose the firmer ingredients such as butter, these cookies form well into balls) flatten slightly or shape into balls and then flatten or leave them round—they will be soft inside!) Bake one batch at a time for 9-11 minutes each or until light golden on bottoms, yet still soft on top. Better when taken out just before they look “done”.
- Cool for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- For variety Substitute half cup organic quick oats for a quarter cup of flour
- *For gluten-free cookies, substitute the whole wheat pastry flour and the spelt flour for gluten free flour mix.
- To reduce sugar, replace 1/4 cup of sucanat for ¼ teaspoon stevia powder or add stevia to further sweeten the dough.
- For a health boost, Stir a tablespoon or two of milled flax seeds.
Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip cookies.
Eliminate butter and a ¼ cup sugar, reduce coconut oil to 1/8 cup, add ¼ cup peanut butter, and 1 small banana, mashed (1/2 cup)
Cookie Ice Cream Cake
One Half gallon Ice cream, any flavor (or two average size containers form the grocery store; I like to go to an ice cream shop where i can get a 1/2 gallon of my favorite.
Split batter in half to make two cookies. Bake for 14 minutes. Cool Completely.
You can either layer: ice cream, cookie, ice cream and then cookie or do: just cookie, ice cream, cookie.
Frost with a Cashew frosting or chocolate glaze. Freeze until 20 minutes before ready to serve.
Soften Ice cream a bit so you can easily scoop it.